MIA Thanksgiving travel week projections and tips
MIAMI, November 25, 2019) – More than 1.5 million passengers are expected at Miami International Airport during the 12-day Thanksgiving travel week from Friday, November 22 to Tuesday, December 3, 2019. Traffic at MIA is projected to be up 1.84 percent over the same travel period in 2018. The busiest days are expected to be December 1 and 2, with more than 137,000 passengers projected each day. Below are some tips to make traveling through MIA easier:
- Departing passengers should arrive at the airport two hours before a domestic flight and three hours before an international flight to allow enough time for parking, airline check-in and screening at the security checkpoint.
- Passengers are encouraged to check-in online before arriving at MIA.
- To expedite screening at the TSA checkpoints, wear easily removable shoes, follow the 3-1-1 rule for liquids or gels in their carry-on, and avoid accessories that resemble weapons. More TSA tips are available at https://www.tsa.gov/travel.
- MIA’s cell phone waiting lot, which features 60 parking spaces for non-commercial users picking up travelers at the airport, is located just off LeJeune Road and N.W. 31st Street, accessible from LeJeune Road heading north or south. Parking on the shoulders of MIA’s roadways or other restricted areas is strictly prohibited and subject to a fine.
- For quick and easy parking, valet parking is available at the Dolphin Garage on the departure level outside of North Terminal D or the Flamingo Garage on the departure level outside of South Terminal J. Rates are $18 for less than three hours or daily for $30. Learn more at http://www.miami-airport.com/parking_rates.asp.
- Passengers can use the MIA Airport Official mobile app, available for free at the iPhone and Google Play app stores, to: scan their boarding pass and immediately receive turn-by-turn, blue-dot navigation with estimated walk times; real-time flight updates and airport advisories; and shopping and dining suggestions nearby.
Miami International Airport offers more flights to Latin America and the Caribbean than any other U.S. airport, is America’s third-busiest airport for international passengers, boasts a lineup of more than 100 air carriers and is the top U.S. airport for international freight. MIA, along with its general aviation airports, is also the leading economic engine for Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida, generating business revenue of $31.9 billion annually and welcoming nearly 60 percent of all international visitors to Florida. MIA’s vision is to grow from a recognized hemispheric hub to a global airport of choice that offers customers a world-class experience and an expanded route network with direct passenger and cargo access to all world regions. MIA is committed to sustainable practices. Learn more at www.MIAefficiency.com.