MIA travel tips in response to federal funding lapse
MIA does not anticipate any significant impacts to flight schedules or the passenger experience due to the federal funding lapse. Below are some tips to make traveling through MIA easier:
- Departing passengers should arrive at the airport two hours before a domestic flight and three hours before an international flight to allow sufficient time for parking, airline check-in and screening at the security checkpoint.
- Passengers are encouraged to check-in online before arriving at MIA.
- Passengers can use the new MIA Airport Official mobile app, available for free at the iPhone and Google Play app stores, to: scan their boarding pass and immediately receive turn-by-turn, blue-dot navigation with estimated walk times; real-time flight updates and airport advisories; and shopping and dining suggestions nearby, based on their customizable personal profile.
- The MIA Airport Official mobile app also provides the Mobile Passport Control feature, which allows U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport and Canadian citizens with a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status to have their passport information processed by using their smartphone or tablet – and avoid the traditional checkpoint lanes - when arriving at MIA from abroad.
- To expedite screening at the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoints, passengers should wear easily removable shoes, follow the 3-1-1 rule for liquids or gels in their carry-on, and avoid accessories that resemble weapons. More TSA tips are available at https://www.tsa.gov/travel.
- The Concourse D-2 TSA checkpoint is available to TSA Pre✓® passengers flying American Airlines and other airlines using concourses D and E. TSA Pre✓® is also available at the Concourse H checkpoint for passengers on flights in concourses H or J.
- For quick and easy parking, valet parking is available at the Dolphin Garage on the departure level outside of North Terminal D or the Flamingo Garage on the departure level outside of South Terminal J. Valet parking allows customers to drop off their vehicle with a parking attendant and walk directly to MIA’s check-in area. Rates are $18 for less than three hours or daily for $30. Learn more at http://www.miami-airport.com/parking_rates.asp.
- Follow MIA on Twitter @iflymia for the latest travel updates.
Miami International Airport offers more flights to Latin America and the Caribbean than any other U.S. airport, is America’s third-busiest airport for international passengers, boasts a lineup of more than 100 air carriers and is the top U.S. airport for international freight. MIA, along with its general aviation airports, is also the leading economic engine for Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida, generating business revenue of $30.9 billion annually and welcoming nearly 60 percent of all international visitors to Florida. MIA’s vision is to grow from a recognized hemispheric hub to a global airport of choice that offers customers a world-class experience and an expanded route network with direct passenger and cargo access to all world regions. MIA is committed to sustainable practices. Learn more at www.MIAefficiency.com. For up-to-the-minute departure and arrival information, airport maps and details on shopping, dining, transportation and more, visit www.miami-airport.com. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.